Thursday, July 14, 2011

25 Heart Touching Real Short Stories

Here’s a selection of 25 short stories recently submitted to one of the sites called, Makes Me Think, that not only made me think, but touched my heart n soul, I hope they do the same for you. These are real stories submitted by random people  Enjoy. Comment if you want to share or like.




1. Today, I operated on a little girl that was in a car accident. She desperately needed O- blood, which is a bit rare. We didn’t have any available, but her twin brother was at the hospital who had O- blood. I explained to him that it was a matter of life and death – that his sister needed his blood. He sat quietly for a moment, and then said goodbye to his parents. I didn’t think anything of it until after we took the blood we needed and he asked, “So when will I die?” He thought he was giving his life for hers. Thankfully, they’ll both be fine. MMT
•
2. Today was the tenth anniversary of my little sister’s death. She died in a car accident when we were both teenagers. I’m 26 now and think about her all the time. This evening, after a rough day, I was sitting on my bed, staring at her picture on my nightstand when a sudden gust of wind blasted through my bedroom window for a few seconds, blowing my sister’s photo off my nightstand, directly into my lap. MMT
3. Today, I was sitting on the subway, exhausted, in a horrible mood. Lately I just haven’t been happy. I’ve been struggling with my weight, my job, and life in general. About 15 minutes into the subway ride, the elderly lady across from me got up, moved next to me, and said, “You’re beautiful. I’m not joking. I was thinking it, and I wanted you to know.” I smiled, thanked her and asked, “Do you usually complement strangers?” “When I was your age, a woman my age sat next to me on a train. Her compliments saved me from doing something stupid. And today, I’m returning the favor.” MMT
4. Today, it’s been exactly 15 years since we parted ways after we had a fling during a family camping trip in Wyoming. He gave me his home phone number before we left, but I lost it. This was before Google and Facebook. It was harder to find people back then, and I didn’t even know his last name. But 5 years ago, when I first opened my Facebook account in college, I connected with a few friends, and it turned out we had a mutual friend the whole time. He recognized my photo, contacted me and the rest is history. We’ve been married for 3 years now. MMT
5. Today at the beach, I ran into my old boyfriend from high school who I haven’t seen in 8 years. We broke up because his dad was in the military and had to move to the east coast. They moved away during our junior year in high school, and we kept in touch for awhile, but eventually lost touch. I recognized him from a distance because he was wearing a tye-dye shirt we made together for a summer beach party when we were sophomores. The kicker: I was wearing my matching tye-dye shirt, which I haven’t worn in years. We hung out the entire day and have a date this evening. MMT
6. Today, my wife still wears the bracelet I made for her when we were in the 5th grade. MMT
7. Today, my younger brother turned 7. He has severe mental disabilities that prevent him from talking properly. It takes him a long time to study a word and get it right. In fact, there are only 12 words he can say properly. One of them is my name. MMT
8. Today, I have purchased more flowers for daughter’s grave than I did for HER while she was alive. MMT
9. Today, my boyfriend’s (and best friend’s) parents became my official legal guardians, 3 months after my parents died in a car accident. Jake and I have been friends since we were 3 and dating for 4 years now (since 8th grade). His dad hugged me when it became official, and said, “You’ve been a daughter to me for over a decade now. Welcome home.” MMT
10. Today, a man dropped several coins into a charity box we keep in our lobby. I told him he was very generous. He replied, “I just want to do my part and give what I can.” This man is homeless. Our office manager allows him to sleep under the large overhang on the backside of our building, and also brings him bagels and donuts when someone buys them for the office. MMT
11. Today, I found an old hand written note my mom wrote when she was a senior in high school. On it is a list of qualities she hoped she would someday find in a boyfriend. The list is basically an exact description of my dad, who she didn’t meet until she was 27. MMT
12. Today, I finally got around to sorting through a box of my son’s personal items that his Army unit shipped to me after he was killed in January of 2011. In the box I found a journal my son updated every night while he was overseas. The final entry, dated Jan 6th, 2011 is only one line long. It says, “I will not kill anyone this year.” MMT
13. Today, our daughter – our only child – earned a full academic scholarship to Yale University – the school she’s wanted to go to for as long as I can remember. She starts next fall. My husband and I have been working two jobs for the last 12 years so that we could pay for her undergrad tuition. Today, her hard work just gave us the best gift in the world: time. Now that we don’t have to pay for her tuition, we have enough money to retire almost 10 years earlier than we had planned. MMT

14. Today, it has been almost a year since you passed. I have slept with your pillow every night since because it smelled like you. But now, it smells like me. I miss you. MMT

15. Today, I went to the doctor because I was experiencing awful stomach pains. They ran some tests, took some blood, and told me they’d contact me later this afternoon. I assumed it was from stress and depression. Three days ago, at the age of 35, my husband, the love of my life, died of a heart attack. This afternoon, I almost gave up. I took out my husband’s handgun, put it on the kitchen table and stared at it, contemplating suicide. As I sat there, the phone rang, it was the doctor. He said, “You’re perfectly healthy. You’re pregnant.” MMT

16. Today is my 18th birthday. Just over 18 years ago a woman was faced with the harsh fact that she had already had four miscarriages and one stillbirth. As she was pregnant for the 5th time, doctors informed her that her pregnancy was extremely risky and life threatening to her health. They said there was a good chance either the baby or her wouldn’t make it. She chose to give the baby a chance anyway. My mom and I both made it and are still totally healthy to this day. MMT

17. Today, my 10-year-old bone cancer patient, who was just downgraded to hospice care this morning, looked around his room, which is filled with stuffed animals, flowers and balloons, and said, “I hope when I get to heaven, God gives me all the balloons I lost when I was alive.” MMT

18. Today, when she woke up from a six month coma, she kissed me and said, “Thank you for being here, and telling me those beautiful stories, and never giving up on me… And yes, I will marry you.” MMT


19. Today, the homeless man who used to sleep near my condo showed up at my door wearing the business suit I gave him nearly 10 years ago. He said, “I have a home, a job, and a family now. 10 years ago I wore this business suit to all my job interviews. Thank you.” MMT

20. Today, when I opened my store at 5AM there was an envelope sitting on the floor by the door. In the envelope was $600 and a note that said, “Five years ago, I broke into your store at night and stole $300 worth of food. I’m sorry. I was desperate. Here’s the money with 100% interest.” Interestingly, I never reported the incident to the cops because I assumed that whoever stole the food really needed it. MMT

21. Today, after working 60 hour weeks for almost 25 years, my small business was acquired by a larger company for 10 million dollars. After signing the final paperwork this afternoon, I grabbed my cell phone and looked through the numbers. I wanted to call someone, a friend, to celebrate with them. But not a single name jumped out at me. I didn’t realize how isolated my lifestyle has been until that moment. MMT

22. Today, I met the prettiest woman on an airplane. After some small talk, and under the assumption that I wouldn't see her again after we made our connections in Atlanta, I told her how pretty I thought she was. She gave me the most sincere smile and said, “Nobody has said that to me in 10 years." It turns out we’re both in our mid-30’s, never married, no kids, and we live about 5 miles away from each other in Dallas. We have a date set for next Saturday after we return home. MMT

23. Today, at 8AM this morning, after four months of lifelessness in her hospital bed, we took my mom off life support. And her heart continued beating on its own. And she continued breathing on her own. Then this evening, when I squeezed her hand three times, she squeezed back three times. MMT

24. Today, I met a 54-year-old woman in Montego Bay spreading ashes from a urn onto the beach. As we watched the sunrise together, she told me that after her husband died in a car accident last month she took 3 months off of work to travel and spread her husbands ashes in all 10 countries they had planned to visit as soon as they retired next year. MMT

25. Today, at the age of 10, my little sister died from a rare form of brain cancer. When she was born, doctors told us that she wouldn't live past her 5th birthday. As she grew older, and became conscious of her condition, she always told us she wanted to live to be 10. She wanted to add a 2nd digit to her age like everyone else. Yesterday was her 10th birthday, and although she was too weak to speak, she smiled all day long in her hospital bed. MMT

No comments:

Post a Comment